Last Updated: July 5, 2020
Cox Automotive Canada Company (“Cox Automotive Canada”) respects the privacy of visitors to our site coxautoinc.ca (the “Site”). This Privacy Statement applies to information collected through this Site and does not apply to the collection, use and disclosure practices of any of our corporate affiliates and brands. Those websites will be governed by their own privacy statements. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of every website you visit and interact with.
Please read this Privacy Statement carefully so that you understand our privacy practices.
How we collect Information and the Information We Collect
We collect personal information of you in the following ways:
Information You Provide. For the most part, we collect information directly from you, such as when you:
- complete a feedback form. This information may include your name, address, telephone number, email address, and other information you may provide,
- subscribe to receive emails from us. This information includes your e-mail address, and
- submit a contact us form. This information may include your name, e-mail, and the content of the information you submit.
Combined Information and Information from Other Sources. We may combine information that you provide to us with information we receive from our affiliates and other sources, as well as with other information that is automatically collected. The combined information may include information about your use of the Site, your use of other websites, devices and mobile applications and information from our affiliates and other sources.
How We May Use the Information We Collect
We may use information we collect for the following purposes:
- for everyday business purposes, providing products and services you request, and providing customer support;
- to respond to your inquiry, complaint or questions;
- to diagnose and address technical and service problems;
- to comply with applicable legal requirements and our policies; and
- to contact you via telephone, text or chat. We will obtain your consent to contact you when and in the manner required by law.
Cookies & Targeted Advertising
Most browsers are set up to accept cookies; however, the “help” feature of the menu bar on most browsers will explain how you can stop accepting cookies and how to turn off existing cookies.
Online behavioural advertising. Online interest-based advertising means programs that decide which ads you might like to see based on non-sensitive information from your online activities, such as the actions you take when you visit this Site as well as other websites. This data helps us, our affiliates and our ad partners understand your interests in order to display ads that you might enjoy. We also participate in network advertising programs that display advertising about our products and services, as well as other unaffiliated advertisers.
You can opt-out of network advertising programs that track your activities across multiple websites to deliver personalized advertising content to you. To opt-out, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada Opt-Out Page: http://youradchoices.ca/understanding-online-advertising
See “Your Choices” below to understand what other options you have.
Information We Share
We do not sell or otherwise share information about you that we collect or receive, except as described below:
- Affiliates. We may share information about you, including personal information, with our corporate affiliates for the purposes of responding to your inquiry regarding one of our affiliated brands, products and services, to better understand our customer needs, or for other purposes with your consent.
- Our Service Providers. We may engage third parties to provide the services offered through or in connection with the Site on our behalf. We require such providers to maintain information about you as confidential and to use the information only to perform the services specified by us in a manner consistent with this Privacy Statement. For example, we use third party could providers to host data, or an ad agency to assist with our targeted advertising. The service providers are prohibited from using the information for their own purposes.
- Corporate and Asset Transactions. If we sell all or substantially all of our business or sell or transfer all or a material part of our assets, or are otherwise involved in a merger or transfer of all or a substantial part of our business, we may transfer all information we have collected and stored, including personal information, to the party or parties involved in the transaction as part of that transaction.
- Other. We may access or disclose information, including personal information, to:
(a) protect or defend our interests and the legal rights or property of Cox Automotive and our affiliates;
(b) protect the rights, interests, safety and security of users of the Site or members of the public;
(c) protect against fraud or for risk management purposes; or
(d) comply with prudent legal practice as we may determine, and applicable law or legal process.
You are entitled to make certain choices about how we use your information.
Opt-out of emails
If you have subscribed to receive certain promotional emails from us but no longer wish for us to use your contact information to promote our own or third parties’ products or services, you can opt-out by clicking “unsubscribe” in the promotional email or email us at: email@example.com. However, we may still need to send you service-related emails that are necessary as part of our business relationship with you.
You may choose not to provide personal information, even though that might impact your ability to register or receive a particular product or service.
Access and Correction
Access to information that we collect and maintain about you may be available to you. Additionally, if you believe that information we maintain about you is inaccurate, subject to applicable law, you may request that we correct or amend the information by contacting us as indicated in the “How to Contact Us” section below.
Tracking Technologies and Advertising.
You can opt-out of our ad targeting services, as well as third party ad servers’ and networks’ cookies simultaneously by using an opt-out tool created by the Network Advertising Initiative. Opting out of a network does not mean you will no longer receive advertising. It does mean that the network from which you opted out will no longer deliver ads tailored to your web preferences and usage patterns.
Data Security and Storage
We use commercially reasonable administrative, technical, personnel, and physical security measures designed to safeguard information about you in our possession against loss, theft and unauthorized use, disclosure or modification. Of course, despite these measures, we cannot guarantee perfect security of networks, servers and databases we operate or that are operated on our behalf.
Your personal information will be stored and / or accessed by us, our affiliates and service providers in Canada and the United States. Information stored outside of Canada will be subject to the laws of that jurisdiction.
Updates to this Privacy Statement
We may update this Privacy Statement to provide clarification or notice of changes to our practices. If we make changes, we will revise the date at the top of this Privacy Statement. We will provide you with additional notice of material changes by posting notice of the changes for thirty (30) days before we implement those changes.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Statement, or if you would like us to update information we have about you or your preferences, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.